Has anyone else noticed that stand alone books are falling by the wayside from many of the most prolific and popular authors? Series are nothing new. In fact, the first books that I remember reading as a child were all from various series. I spent many a day with Laura Ingalls, Anne of Green Gables, The Five Little Peppers, the Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew and later Cherry Ames. Series make a lot of sense from a marketing perspective. If you create a good series concept and good characters, you have your readers hooked. From the readers perspective, series are also nice. I have read a number of books that I really wanted to be able to continue with the characters. I also have read a number of fantastic series with story lines that just cannot be handled in one book.
Anyway, I digress. Back to the series challenge that I am working on. I have several series in mind for this challenge. Among them are:
- The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais
- The Reverend Clarie Ferguson and Russ Van Alystyne Mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming
- The Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny
- The Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs
- The Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin
- The John Cole series by Nelson DeMille
What is your favorite series? If you were suggesting a series for someone to read, what would it be? what about the series draws you to it?